Friday, September 08, 2006

On Things that I Enjoy, and Things that I do not Enjoy.

Hello loyal reader(-s), but probably only (-).

Today I am here to discuss how I feel about the role of SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY in my daily life, how I interact with it, and its impact upon me.

Honestly I don't feel any strong malice toward the increasingly intrusive amount of technology in my life; I do not particularly fear or distrust it. Neither do I feel that technology will save us all and create a totally egalitarian society like the damn Communists (robots to take out the trash and clean so that no one is lowered to do these menial tasks, ha, ha). Since I have now eliminated both the "disutopian" and the "utopian" views from my paradigm, I suppose you could classify me as holding a "secular" view (although I don't much approve of this diction, as it normally connotates thoughts of religion, or lack thereof, and the thought of mixing religion with technology raises my eyebrow a notch or two). I don't appreciate extremes with regard to any issue I can think of; extremists tend to disregard any sort of dissenting facts in favor of their fanatical idealism, and there are always dissenting facts. To torture a cliche, the truth lies somewhere in between.

Moving on. While I would not consider myself to be anything close to a "computer whiz" (do people even use that phrase anymore?), networked technologies play an increasingly important role in my day to day life. A typical day for me involves checking my email at least five times (bills, homework notifications, death threats), checking facebook.com at least 6 times (shame!), and checking my cellular telephone to see if anyone has called me at least once or twice (no one has). I check my online banking website (no old-fashioned balancing my checkbook for me!) to make sure deposits show up, waiters didn't "tip themselves," etc. I also have an extensive collection of "favorite" websites which I check frequently, including foundmagazine.com, fark.com, my friends' flickr.com photos, blogs, etc. I enjoy traveling, and I often compare airline ticket prices for future excursions on websites such as travelocity.com, expedia.com, cheaptickets.com, etc. I'm also looking into becoming a courier, so that I can fly for cheap, so I did a lot of google.com research on the subject. An increasing amount of my homework and readings are almost completely web- or blackboard-based, a very recent phenomenon which didn't really seem to exist even when I was a freshman in 2002.

On a final note, I've always enjoyed Star Trek, and never really liked the film "The Matrix," even though it had a good soundtrack.

Fin.

-T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home